Previously on BATB, Tess did work (she is the only one who works), JT gave Vincent good pep-talks (he is becoming a mental health professional), Mohinder was smug then sad (LOL), and Vincent and Catherine BONED (oh good news kids I have brought back boned which I haven’t used since season 1 aren’t we all happy).
Oh lovely we get a flash back to all the times Cat and Vincent were in love in the far superior first season –GOOD TIMES! Even better, it was Cat reminiscing the morning after. She then ditches out on a sleeping V. Vincent goes over to JT’s to have a man-talk. Cat invites Tess over to have a girl-talk. She tells Tess it was just break-up sex. Both BFFs demand details. Both V and Cat say it was grrrreat! JT and Tess tell them it’s not break-up sex because that is generally bad and depressing –profound truth. They also feel like Vincent is going to demand for answers –of course he is. Tess’ points out that with Sam in jail Cat can stay away from both Vincent and Mohinder while Cat figures out what to do–this is TV so that ain’t happening.
Which segways us to prison and our good friend Sam –HEY SHADES! [YAY!!!! -M] Sam is in the infirmary but because his tests come back negative he is on his way back to gen-pop but not before he covertly injects some dude with beast serum. While the dude beasts, Sam can escape –BE FREE SHADES!
Cat and Tess decide to grace the NYC police with their presence (by finally going to work to do their jobs, which is kind of novel on this show which used to be a police procedural with sci-fi elements back in the days when I enjoyed this assignment) and who should they find but MOHINDER everyone’s favorite lurker. Mohinder pulls Cat aside to discuss how her convo with Vincent went–not good for you
Gabe Mohinder. [Katie, I hope the showrunners read your recaps so this show gets better. However, I am really more worried about Nashville getting renewed. -M] Things get awkward when Cat hesitates while being asked if she is having second thoughts on being with Mohinder but Tess cuts the tension by interrupting that Sam has escaped.
Mohinder and Cat go to the jail. Cat tells Mohinder that JT needs to bring the anti-beast serum to the jail. Mohinder says he needs to decrypt the flash drive they got off of Sam which they assume is from the CIA database –I’m not going to lie I zoned out because when Mohinder talks about case shit I m mind wonders so I don’t get angry about his acting. He does get a dig in to Catherine about people going backwards –why on earth would anyone willingly date such an asshole.
Cat gets a call from Vincent who wants answers, she says it was break-up sex, he tells her she is lying. She keeps trying to get off the phone. She finally tells him Sam escaped and Vincent tells her two things: he will bring her the serum AND he is not letting her go without a fight –but in a nice NOT psycho boyfriend way which means that our one-on-one women’s studies seasons are paying off.
Tess barges in on JT and DEMANDS he help her. It’s adorable, they kind of fight about V and Cat. It’s more adorable. We find out that Tess has also not talked to JT about there rendezvous. IT’S EVEN MORE ADORABLE! Then Vincent comes in and RUINS IT–Vincent you I will only allow you to ruin a Tess/JT moment if you are nude. Tess leaves demanding JT find Sam. Vincent does the same of JT so that he can prove to Cat he isn’t the same jackass who tried to kill her dad –BIO-DAD not real dad!
Sam points a gun at a judge and DEMANDS he show him where his pin is from a super secret society of bad dudes–ummmm? He can’t kill the guy because of a picture of the judges little boy –there is still good in SHADES. He knocks the dude out and rifles through his stuff finding a pin–THE FUCK!
Cat and Mohinder talk about shit and I am too fucking bored by this shit. EWWW
Gabe Mohinder tells Cat he loves her and that Vincent is bad for her and then he creepily tells her he isn’t giving up without a fight –but he is super creepy about it like a psycho boyfriend, I would give him a class in women’s studies but then I would have to talk to him.
Back at the gentleman’s club none of these people but
Gabe Mohinder could afford. Vincent and JT still can’t find Sam. JT finds addresses in the encrypted data. Two are for NYC and when they put the first one into the surveillance equipment they then finally find Sam.
Mohinder, Vincent and Cat talk to the judge. Vincent points out the judge is lying repeatedly which annoys Mohinder.
Gabe Mohinder tries to impress us by using his lawyerly ways to get answers from the judge but in the end Vincent wins the pissing contest by beasting out in front of him. At this point I kind of wish Cat actually decides to be on her own because both dudes are acting like asses. Tess meets them and they fill her in on the whole secret society –eye-fucking-roll! She also tells Vincent that the other NYC address JT found was registered to a married couple. Vincent suggests he and Cat take their button and pose as them at some fancy party they are having because Sam blew up there server –this is some convoluted bullshit but I’m going with it because it’s better than some of the plots from this season (I’m looking at you Bob/CONDOR) but let the record show I miss Muirfield and simpler times. Anywho the boys fight over Cat she makes them pick numbers and Mohinder gets to be Cat’s husband at the party. Tess, Cat and I all roll our eyes –boys are fucking dumb.
While the party’s HOT:
- Cat looks really nice in green and Mohinder looks dashing in a nice suit but he is still a lousy actor.
- Cat notices that it’s a masquerade ball and the same one she went to the previous year (OHHHH WHEN SHE AND V FIRST KISSED) and
GabeMohinder is all nobody knows who I am and then two people are like “Hey Gabe” so Vincent plays husband.
- Vincent gives her a speech about their relationship and
GabeMohinder looks sad at them being together.
- Cat is like, “DUDE WE HAVE TO FIND SAM!” so they split up.
- Tess and JT are stuck at the gentleman’s club. They fight over their relationship. Tess admits she likes JT but he isn’t her type and she is very confused. They make-out just as JT’s algorithm spits out names.
- Cat is spotted by Sam who points her out to security.
- Mohinder tells Vincent that everyone on the list is behind Muirfield and tons of bad shit and that they are building a beast. Vincent is like we need to bring them down but Mohinder is an ass and tells him he can’t change and to stay away from Cat.
- Vincent notices that Cat is being kidnapped.
- Cat kicks ass and with V’s help takes down two dudes but she is rightfully pissed because she had it under control and she is “not some damsel in distress” –unfortunately Cat, you have been used like that a lot this season, blame the writers they have treated you very poorly.
- Mohinder see’s Sam go in an elevator with more guys with pins. In the board room he turns the man who killed his son into a beast and tells him to kill them all.
- Vincent wants to go after Sam with Cat but Mohinder whines that Cat will be in danger and Cat is like fuck that let’s go. Vincent smugly points out to Mo that Cat does what she wants.
- Once they arrive Sam sabotages the elevator trapping them with the homicidal beast. Cat calls Mo and tells him to pull the fire alarm and to send for help.
- Vincent kills the beast and Sam is so sad and angry mad. He goes to throw himself off the roof. Vincent gives him a speech about his anger and how it only left him empty but that they can work together to bring down the organization that has harmed them both the right way. Cat is moved. Sam still jumps but Vincent saves him. When Sam asks him why, he lovingly stares at Cat.
- Vincent tells Cat that it’s bittersweet but she points out that that was the old him not the new him. She also tells him she likes the new him the best.
- Mohinder thinks with Sam’s help he can bring down the secret shadowy society –yawn.
- Cat breaks up with Mohinder. He is kind of a jerk but whatever she is done with him so –FUCK YES! [Even the four episodes she was with that douche were too many. -M]
When she gets back to her apartment she sees the window open and KNOWS that Vincent is waiting for her on the roof. He gives her a rose and tells her he loves her, she says it back and they kiss. Vincent and Cat get back together and Cat demands she be allowed to protect herself not these dumb dudes–I hope this fucking lasts. [A strong Cat is a good Cat. -M] The episode ends with Vincent getting arrested for murder.
BATB won’t be back until May. [Don’t cry, Katie! Also, we will cover some other things between now and then, like the HIMYM finale, so please don’t abandon us, gentle readers! -M]
Photos from CW and gifs from batbnation.