Previously on BATB, Cat kissed Mohinder (GROSS), Vincent killed a BAD guy and got yelled at (AGAIN), and JT had some awesome lines (NOT ENOUGH).
This whole Mohinder and Cat thing is so fucking gross. They talk about their “relationship” and Mohinder tells Cat they can have one once she gets over her unresolved Vincent anger. Cat is upset because Vincent is parading Tori around with “HER” necklace. Why is it Cat’s necklace, well because Agent Rohm (I can’t remember her name so I will continue to call her by her real name) gave Cat a file in which Rebecca Reynolds owned the necklace AND was researching several maulings 200 years previously. Since Cat’s bio-dad Bob’s last name is REYNOLDS (that can’t possibly be a common British last name) it MUST be hers.
Agent Rohm calls them down to the precinct and has noticed that Tori has been sporting a necklace like the stolen one AND that her cell phone was traced to the pier. She wants the super team to bring in Tori but they con their way out by saying that as an heiress she will lawyer up and get out in a few hours. Instead they get a warrant to search the houseboat of masculine LOVE and bring Tori in for questioning. While on their way out some random dude spoils the surprise birthday party Mohinder and Cat were going to throw Tess and Cat blames it on Vincent. [I feel like what this episode needed was a party. DAMMIT. -M]
I get that the writers have made Vincent more ruthless but that is understandable when you take account what has happened to him (genetic experiment, abduction, more experimenting, and brainwashing to be an assassin) but what the writers have done to Cat is completely ridiculous and makes ZERO sense. She is like a completely different person from last season and I am about done. The Cat of old would have had issues with NEW ruthless Vincent but she would have dealt with them by trying to find the source of the change, she would NOT have abandoned him for Mohinder who once kidnapped her. I hope this is my last rant and I will try to enjoy the mess were in for tonight folks. I mean PARTY for Tess that has to be kind of fun –YES??? [If only there was a party for an hour. Sigh. And then maybe JT and Tess could have made out some more! -M]
We go to the pier and see a bunch of creepy dudes talking to a guy in a nearby car who turns out to be Pawel Szajda (from Generation Kill and Under the Tuscan Sun). It looks like they are the ones who are really after the necklace. Vincent and Tori are in the houseboat waiting for them to arrive but who should arrive but our merry band of cops. Tori thinking Cat is a bad guy attacks her and Cat being the worst dumper ever arrests her because Vincent won’t let Cat have the necklace. I want to point out that people hate Tori but she apologized to Cat AND tried to give her the necklace, it was Vincent who stopped her. Anywho, they take Tori downtown. Cat is out of control.
The bad guys split up, two stay at the pier to go search the houseboat and the rest go after Tori and the necklace. At the houseboat Mohinder and Vincent awkwardly talk about drinking (I NEED a drink) and then are interrupted by the bad guys. Vincent kills one and the other one is killed by Mohinder (who if you noticed did not necessarily need to kill, he better still be bad, it’s the only thing that would make good story sense. Kill the bad guy because he could possibly implicate Mohinder). Vincent is pissed he can’t question one of them.
The ladies bring Tori into the precinct and try to give her a cover story but instead she taunts Cat about being jealous. Tess and I both had a very hard time not laughing at Cat when she stated for the bazillionth time that she was NOT JEALOUS (I saw the laughs in your eyes Tess). Anyway they couldn’t come up with a story because Agent Rohm came and threw the dynamic duo out.
Back at the houseboat the other duo of the evening are searching the pockets of the dead guys. They then argue about helping each other. Vincent points out that everyone on Mohinder’s team has tried to kill him and therefore he doesn’t trust them. Mohinder tells Vincent that Cat thinks the necklace is hers because it belonged to a dead relative (oh please). Mohinder then compares this to a divorce and for once I agree. Then one of the bad guys gets a text and Vincent is like peace out bitch and leaves.
Cat and Tess are nervously watching for Agent Rohm to return mainly because they worry about Tori losing control. Rohm leaves the interrogation room but sends in a sergeant to remove the necklace. Tori sends that guy flying through the glass. The hot Russian guy tries to steal the necklace but things go badly and they take the precinct hostage. They also kill the guy who spoiled the surprise party. Tess is very upset. Cat does manage to tranque Tori in the chaos.
Mohinder walks into the crime scene and announces himself as “ADA Lowen Interim Chief of the Precinct” and I channel Sam Waterston and Elisabeth Rohm when I say “LIKE FUN YOU ARE! THERE IS NO WAY THE NYPD MADE AN ADA CHIEF OF A PRECINCT, A LIAISON SURE, BUT NOT A CHIEF THEY HAVE UNIONS PEOPLE!” It’s like the people behind this show don’t think that people watch Law & Order (that show was on for like 20 years AND SVU is still on, Dick Wolf has made sure that generations of Americans (and Brits, I’m a fan of Law & Order UK) understand the justice system as it pertains to NYC).
The bad guys take everyones cell phones and guns. They also hand cuff each person except for Tori, who is unconscious, as she is thrown in a cell. Cat and Tess come up with the excellent plan to have Cat in the cell with Tori who they think can subdue the bad guys. [I feel bad for Tess, because this is the worst birthday ever. Agent Rohm is getting shiftier by the second. -M] I think their plan is terrible as it means trusting Tori who is kind of an asshole and completely out of control without Vincent.
Vincent comes upon Mohinder while he is looking at blueprints and they have a less than friendly chat. Mohinder wants to work together to save everyone but Vincent is NOT working with Mohinder. Mohinder takes this as a sign Vincent doesn’t care anymore about humanity; however, I take it as a sign that Vincent doesn’t want to work with GABE WHO IS THE ABSOLUTE WORST! [He certainly is the weak link, acting-wise, on this show. -M] Vincent peaces out on Mohinder again!
Cat is trying to tell Tori the plan AND I am glad the Cat does stress restraint when talking to Tori; however, Tori is a loose fucking cannon and once she frees herself she fails to free Cat. She does kill one of the bad guys.
Things in the precinct happen fast so I’m going to bullet them for ease of reading:
- Tess kind of makes a look when Rohm comments on Tori throwing that guy through the window and then Tess makes a comment so Rohm KNOWS that Tess KNOWS something.
- Vincent enters the precinct through the HVAC system and calls Vlad (AKA hot Russian) to lure him to the basement.
- Cat is also on her way to the basement but she calls Mohinder who tells her, that Vincent has unresolved feelings and still cares for her and that he is IN once this is over (I throw up a little in my mouth).
- Tori kills Vlad and steals the necklace, which she then puts on. Cat comes in and asks Tori to help the innocent people. They fight but Cat wins because the show very pointedly showed us the necklace and the gem must harness the beast within.
- Vincent comes in and Cat explains that she didn’t want to hurt Tori but all Vincent cares about is how did Cat knock out a beast.
- Vincent and Cat have it out. Cat wants Vincent to help her save people as he would have before and he points out that was before he was brainwashed and kidnapped by her family. He also points out that the gem is a BEAST LEASH (which Melissa texted me as she was very excited). [BEAST LEASH. I am writing a song about it. -M] I am kind of glad they are talking and pointing out valid arguments instead of whining and talking about all the LIES people are telling –so I’m taking that as a win folks!
- Cat leaves to go fight crime and Vincent calls the bad guys using Vlad’s phone he also speaks Russian. Vincent has skills.
- Rohm and Tess talk about how much Tess likes her birthday. Tess realizes that Rohm is profiling her and is like fuck this shit I will tell you what you want to know. I am super excited that Tess is like fuck this shit.
- The bad guys find out that two of their own are dead and that Cat and Tori are missing with the necklace so they take Tess hostage. NOT TESS!
- Vincent hears the shot as he is leaving AND Cat starts pleading with him to save Tess AND she apologizes for a lot of the shit that I have been writing here week after week –DOUBLE WIN!
- Vincent saves Tess because of course he does!
- Vincent tries to get the bad guys to let the hostages go but of course the bad guys are dumb.
- Cat finally finds the circuit breaker and cuts the lights which enables Vincent and Tess to take control of the situation BUT not before letting Rohm kind of know that Vincent might be something more than a war hero.
- Tess rescues the hostages and Cat and Vincent try to talk to the last two bad guys. The problem though is that Vincent can’t fight while holding the necklace. He throws it away to save Cat and they try to interrogate the last bad guy BUT they can’t because a helicopter shoots him. Vincent saves Cat and I heard every Beastie squee with delight –you guys are so loud. He does tell the duo that they don’t know who they are dealing with –RUH ROH!!!
- The swat team and Mohinder come in to find Vincent and Cat safe but everyone else dead. I laugh out loud at poor sad Mohinder’s face –I have become a person who hates someone who fucks with her SHIP!
Cat calls Vincent a hero and Mohinder looks so sad. Vincent leaves to find Tori. Mohinder and Cat talk about her unresolved feelings. They decide that Cat isn’t ready for a relationship. Cat doesn’t want to ruin their friendship, she cares about Mohinder too much –PUKE! Strong independent women DON’T date dudes who kidnapped them. [Or their boss. Seriously this is going to end up as a really fucked up situation. -M] I will not accept good Mohinder. He will always be a murderer to me –seriously he killed people last season to lure Vincent out of hiding. I sometimes think the writers just forgot about last year.
Tess recants to Rohm about knowing more than she says and it’s cute because she realizes that Vincent is her FRIEND!
Cat finds Vincent looking for the necklace and they have a heart to heart. Vincent proposes working together for the answers they need. HE also asks her when it was that she apologized to him and Cat realizes that Vincent saved the day not because he heard her (he had the necklace on him) but because he does the right thing (more often than not). Tess gives him a big hug because he enabled her to turn thirty and invites him to her party but he can’t because Tori is the second worst person behind Mohinder.
We end with the drunk guy from the precinct giving a dude in a black car the necklace. [Oh yay, we get to see them again after VinCat team up to find that BEAST LEASH, which is the dumbest phrase I have ever heard. -M]
Next week JT is kidnapped! Oh JT, so much happened this week that I failed to mention how sad it was you were gone, it was terribly sad and I am glad next week is a JT heavy episode. I hope you’re kidnapping leads to a Tess make-out!
Photos from the CW and gifs from batbnation.